Beef Island, Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Name: David Cioppa
Country of Residence: British Virgin Islands
1. Your Restaurant/Business: Surfsong Villa Resort in Well Bay, Beef Island, Tortola, British Virgin Islands.
2. About Your Kitchen: Small, organized, well-equipped, clean and cool.
3. Your Favorite Chef Works Item: Blue, lightweight ¾ sleeve chef jacket (Item JLCL) because it’s a great shade of blue that is cool in warm temperatures and it represents the blue waters of B.V.I.
4. First Job: Breakfast cook in a deli in Ottawa, Canada.
5. Your Favorite Cookbook: Best of Art Culinaire by Franz Mitterer.
6. Your Awards: Nicest Chef Ever!
7. Your Cooking Inspiration: My Family – I grew up in a 7 child family.
8. Your Specialty Dish: Organic Brick Chicken with a Chocolate Chili Sauce.
9. Favorite Dish To Eat: Great Mexican tacos (El pastor).
10. Weirdest Thing You Ever Ate: Cricket tacos.
11. Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: My new obsession – local Basil Ice Cream that I make myself.
12. Favorite Drink: Talisker Scotch.
13. Favorite Wine: 1995 Auslese Riesling, JJ Prum, Germany.
14. Who Would You Most Like To Cook For: My Niece! She’s very excited about food!
15. Who Would You Least Like To Cook For: Myself. I got into cooking because of the feedback and instant gratification so when I cook for myself it’s hard to completely be satisfied.
16. Favorite Things To Do When Not Cooking: Jumping waves.
17. Your latest project: An herb garden surrounding the Courtyard at Surfsong Villa Resort.
18. Favorite City and Why: New York City, because it has everything. Want the best food, restaurants, stores, parks? Go to NYC.
19. Your Greatest Indulgence: Smoked butter.
20. Your All Time Best Culinary Tip: It takes a lot more than culinary school to be a chef. Watch while you plate!
Photo credit: William Torrillo, www.photo.vi